Wednesday 25 February 2009

Wednesday 25th February 2009

Our Christmas Rose (Helleborus niger) produced it's first flower of the year yesterday and today we have two more opening.


Whenever one reads about the "Christmas Rose" the authors of gardening books say the common name is derived from the fact that it flowers reliably around the Christmas Holiday Season. Not for me. Chrissie Harten in her diary for 2004 said - "This flowers every year for me, but in all the years I have had it, it has never, ever, flowered at Christmas! Mine usually flowers around February, a good two months after Christmas." That has been my experience every year as well.

1 comment:

  1. We call Hellbores "Lenten Rose" cause it blooms in Lent. I have one open in my yard too and will post a photo tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!